Constructed in the early 1300s, at 282 ft. the spire is one of the highest in the country on a parish church, dominating the views of the town. The church is built of Lincolnshire limestone, probably from around the Ancaster area.
Some Saxon herringbone stonework is visible near the organ and late Norman work is represented by four pairs of nave piers. Following a major fire in 1222 a programme of rebuilding and enlargement was undertaken resulting in the large rectangular space we have today: the north and west displaying the Early English style; Decorated in the Lady Chapel south-east corner; Perpendicular for the Corpus Christi Chapel in the north-east.
The most impressive architectural features of this church can be seen from the West. The tower and spire are of almost equal height to form the third highest parish church in Britain and the sixth highest of all our spires. Together with the two vast windows on either side of the tower, the west front, completed around 1300, is an excellent example of Early English architecture.
The feel of the interior owes much to the major restoration carried out by George Gilbert Scott in the 1860s. Box pews and galleries were removed; the wooden roofs replaced; and a chancel screen and the choir stalls constructed.
For more detail see www.discoverstwulframs.org.uk